Monday, December 5, 2011

Artist Interview: Helen Kerrigan


Hi, my name is Helen Kerrigan and I have long had a passion/ obsession with vintage and retro china. I have incorporated this into my work and now produce a range of giftware including bird-feeders, candles, clocks, cake stands and brooches. Not only does this provide me a creative outlet, but it allows me to indulge in my favourite pastime,  browsing the many fabulous op shops and second hand stores around our city. 
I have a strong conviction that in order to create something that others will be drawn to, you have to start with quality materials. It is to this end that I only use English bone china and well preserved Crown Lynn ceramics to make my range.


What can people expect to see from you on the day? As well as my previously mentioned range of up-cycled vintage range (bird-feeders, candles, clocks, cake stands, brooches) I will have various brooches using recycled  doilies, stamps and vintage books. I'll also be bringing my Little Golden Book clocks, which were a great success at the last fair. Who knows, I may even have a few new surprises on the day!

Do you have any future plans for your work, could you describe them? My work is always evolving and changing, so watch this space.


Where are your favourite places on-line? I love a bit of on-line shopping on Felt and Etsy. www.instructables.com is always good to while away a bit of time and get the creative juices flowing. As for blogs, I don't have any particular favourites but I love to look around when I have the time (which isn't often).

What do you enjoy doing when you aren't busy making your wares? Between making my wares, selling at markets and looking after my six year old son, there isn't too much spare time. I try to keep things local and as I live in Grey Lynn that's fairly easy. Most of my favourite places are here. I love road trips, especially with someone who shares my op shop obsession. There is nothing better than a drive down the country stopping in every town to hunt down treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment